Historic Markers Across Georgia



St. Philip's Episcopal Church



Marker ID:  
Location: Washington St. at MLK Jr. Ave., Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 45.006    W 084° 23.298
  33.7501    -84.3883
Waymark: None
 



Text:

On this property in 1848 was erected and consecrated St. Philips Church, the first Episcopal Church in Atlanta. In 1882, a second, larger church building was built on this site. In 1904, Bishop C.K.Nelson took the church under his spiritual jurisdiction, and it was consecrated the Cathedral of St. Philip. It occupied this site until 1933, when a new Cathedral was erected on Peachtree Road.

[Untitled and uncredited marker erected in 2000 or 2001]



 

 

060-A11