Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Georgian Terrace Hotel



Marker ID:  
Location: Front of hotel, Peachtree St just north of Ponce De Leon, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 46.374    W 084° 23.100
  33.7729    -84.385
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM28YC
The Georgian Terrace Hotel Marker  



Text:

Built by Atlanta native Joseph Gatins and designed by New York architect, W. L Stoddard, the Terrace opened October 2, 1911. Over the years most of Atlanta´s famous Visitors have chosen the Georgian Terrace Hotel as their temporary home on Peachtree Street.

The Terrace served as headquarters the Metropolitan Opera when it visited Atlanta each spring in early 1900´s. The great opera singer, Enrico Caruso stayed here 1913 and sent a gracious thank you from London complimenting the excellent food and accommodations. Clark Gable, Vivian Leigh and most of the "Gone With The Wind" cast stayed here when the film premiered in Atlanta in December, 1939.

The Terrace served as host to presidents Warren Harding and Calvin Coolidge. Arthur Murray operated one of his dancing schools here while he was attending Georgia Tech.

Over the years "The Grand Old Lady of Peachtree" became known as one of the great hotels of the Southeast because of its elaborate Ballroom, the Terrace Outdoor Cafe, Marble lobby and elegant furnishings.

Unnumbered and undated



 

 

060-A14