Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Sandy Springs



Marker ID: SSF 
Location: Sandy Springs Circle at Hilderbrand Dr, Sandy Springs
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 55.358    W 084° 22.990
  33.922633    -84.38316
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1VBK
The Sandy Springs  Marker  



Text:

This community is named form the natural spring bubbling up through clear white sand in the meadow below. The Springs were a Cherokee and Creek Indian campsite which became the property of the orphans of John Medows of Henry County in the 1821 Land Lottery. Wilson Spruill purchased the property in 1842. He and his neighbors build a log cabin church on the ridge above in 1848 and Methodist camp meetings were held here for over 100 years. The Springs also served as a resting point along significant southeastern migration route. The Williams-Payne farmhouse (circa 1869) was moved to the Springs site in 1985.


An Historic Regional Landmark



 

 

060-A16