Historic Markers Across Georgia



Atlanta Fortifications



Marker ID:  
Location: In Grant Park near Fort Walker on Boulevard, Atlanta, GA.
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 43.945    W 084° 22.123
  33.73241666    -84.36871666
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM6H9J
Atlanta Fortifications Marker  



Text:

This line of breastworks
is a remnant of the city fortifications occupied by Confederate forces during
the siege of Atlanta
July 22 - August 25, 1864.
The line, which completely encircled the city,
aggregated 12 miles of rifle pits and
fortifications of which was designed and supervised
by Capt. Lemuel P. Grant
who, in 1883 donated the original 100 acres
of this area for a city park.

Erected by the Atlanta ladies Memorial Association
Ms. Author McD. Wilson, Jr President
1938



 

 

060-A26