Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fulton County Superior Court



Marker ID:  
Location: front of the Fulton County Marker on the corner of MLK and Pryor St. in Atlanta, GA
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 45.073    W 084° 23.464
  33.75121666    -84.39106666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM7QAK
Fulton County Superior Court Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The Fulton County Courthouse and Justice Center Tower house several courts, including the Superior Court of Fulton Co., Georgia´s busiest trial court of general jurisdiction. The judges of the Superior Court of Fulton County preside over administrative appeals and civil, major criminal, and domestic relations cases. Two divisions, Diversionary Drug Court and The Family Division, provide specialized services to the citizens of Fulton County.

Fulton County constitutes the Atlanta Judicial Circuit, Fifth Administrative District. The State of Georgia is divided into ten districts containing several circuits and counties. The Atlanta Circuit, Fifth Administrative District is so large it contains only Fulton County. Fulton County was created out of DeKalb County in 1853. Its boundaries were set by and act of the legislature on February 7, 1854. The Coweta Circuit, pre-cursor to the Atlanta Circuit, was established in 1833. In 1869, its name was changed to the Atlanta Circuit. At that time, it was comprised of Clayton, DeKalb and Fulton Counties. On September 8, 1885, Clayton and DeKalb left to become part of the newly formed Stone Mountain Circuit.




Fulton County Superior Court
Photo by Ken Moser



 

060-A28