Historic Markers Across Georgia



Covered Bridge over the Chattahoochee River



Marker ID:  
Location: Riverwalk Trail - 575 Riverside Dr., Roswell, GA
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 34° 00.306    W 084° 21.044
  34.0051    -84.35073333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8DV7
Covered Bridge over the Chattahoochee River Marker  



Text:

Look up to see the eight arch span of the old two-lane concrete bridge opened in 1925 is part of the sixteen- mile "Roosevelt Boulevard", (Georgia Highway 9) to Atlanta, named in memory of President Theodore Roosevelt who visited his mother´s childhood home, Roswell´s Bulloch Hall, in 1905. Prior to the construction of the concrete bridge, a wooden covered bridge spanned the Chattahoochee River for more than 70 years. John (Jehu) Lowery built the first one in the 1850s. It was burned by a Confederate battalion leaving Roswell during the Civil War. Charles Dunwody built the second covered bridge (pictured here) in 1869. The toll for crossing was twenty five cents. The building on the left was a mill, commissary. The two-story building on the right was a boarding house. The 1925 concrete bridge was widened to four lanes in 1965, and later named the Archie Lindsey Bridge, in honor of the long-time Fulton County Commissioner.



 

Covered Bridge over the Chattahoochee River

Notes:

Located along the Riverwalk Trail near Roswell Rd and Riverside Rd. Closest trail entrance is at the facilities at 575 Riverside Dr. marker is west of the parking lot along the paved trail.

 

060-A29