Historic Markers Across Georgia



St. Philip's Episcopal Church



Marker ID:  
Location: Washington St. at MLK Jr. Ave., Atlanta at the corner of the Georgia Department of Agriculture building.
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 45.006    W 084° 23.295
  33.7501    -84.38825
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMC86C
St. Philip's Episcopal Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

On this property in 1848 was erected and consecrated St. Philips Church, the first Episcopal Church in Atlanta. In 1882, a second, larger church building was built on this site. In 1904, Bishop C.K.Nelson took the church under his spiritual jurisdiction, and it was consecrated the Cathedral of St. Philip. It occupied this site until 1933, when a new Cathedral was erected on Peachtree Road.

[Untitled and uncredited marker erected in 2000 or 2001]




St. Philip's Episcopal Church
Photo by Ken Moser


Notes:

St. Philip's Episcopal Church



 

060-A38