Historic Markers Across Georgia



Ramah Baptist Church



Marker ID:  
Location: 502 Ramah Drive, Palmetto, GA
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 31.617    W 084° 39.683
  33.52695    -84.66138333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
Ramah Baptist Church Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

The first Baptist Church established in Campbell County in 1828, it became the mother church for many Western and Fairburn Baptist Association churches. James Rainwater (1795 - 1871) was the first known pastor, serving for 26 years, and is buried in the church cemetery. Also buried there is William Brewster, a Revolutionary soldier, (1757- 1847). Land was donated by Robert Jackson and a log cabin was the first house of worship which also served as a school. This was replaced by a frame building in 1851 and the present sanctuary of Stone Mountain granite was complete in 1906 for the sum of $3,000.00.

Erected 1983 by Old Campbell County Historical Society.




Ramah Baptist Church
Photo by David Seibert



 

060-A45