Historic Markers Across Georgia



Burial Ground of Congregation Ahavath



Marker ID: ACH 
Location: near Memorial Dr. wall in Oakland Cemetery, Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 44.830    W 084° 22.310
  33.747166    -84.37183
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM184A
Burial Ground of Congregation Ahavath Marker  



Text:

The section of the cemetery encompassing the area behind this marker, bounded by the lane to the east, the sidewalk to the west, and the wall to the south, was established in 1892 as the burial ground for congregation Ahavath Achim, chartered in 1887 as the city´s first synagogue composed primarily of Jews of Eastern European descent.

The small section of graves to the right, bounded by the sidewalk and corner ground markers, is the burial ground of the Kadish lodge, a mutual aid society established in 1896 by Russian Jews which provided its members sick benefits and free burial plots.



 

 

060-A6