Historic Markers Across Georgia



Historic Fire Station No. 6



Marker ID: NPS 
Location: Auburn Avenue NE, Atlanta, GA
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 45.323    W 084° 22.321
  33.75538333    -84.37201666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Fire Station No. 6 was one of seven fire stations built in Atlanta, Georgia during the 1890s to serve the city's bustling growth of suburban neighborhoods. One of the early means of transportation for the firemen was the horse-drawn hose wagon. When Martin Luther King, Jr. was growing up in this neighborhood of Sweet Auburn, a 1927 American LaFrance fire engine (like the one on display inside) was used by the firemen who worked here at this fire station.

In the 1930s and 1940s Atlanta was a segregated city and African American children could only "dream" of becoming fire-fighters for the Atlanta Fire Department. However, the modern Civil Rights Movement led by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in the late 1950s and 1960s paved the way for integrating the workforce of public institutions and establishments such as the Atlanta Fire Department. In 1963 the Atlanta Fire Department hired sixteen African American firefighters.

Fire Station No. 6 was officially closed in 1991 after serving the neighborhood of Sweet Auburn and surrounding communities for nearly a century (1894-1991).

Erected by National Park Service.



 

 

060-A65