Historic Markers Across Georgia



This Line of Breastworks



Marker ID:  
Location: in Grant Park near the surviving Redoubts of Fort Walker and the playground, on Boulevard, Atlanta, GA
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 43.878    W 084° 22.129
  33.7313    -84.36881666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This line of breastworks is a remnant of the city fortifications occupied by Confederate forces during the Siege of Atlanta July 22, - August 25, 1864. The line, which completely encircled the city, aggregated 12 miles of rifle pits and forts construction of which was designed and supervised by Capt. Lemuel P. Grant. Who, in 1883 donated the original 100 acres of this area for a city park.

Erected 1938 by Atlanta Ladies Memorial Association.



 

 

060-A66