Historic Markers Across Georgia



Saint Joseph's - Atlanta's Oldest Hospital



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Courtland St and Baker St, Atlanta, GA
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 45.725    W 084° 23.057
  33.76208333    -84.38428333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Saint Joseph's
Atlanta's Oldest Hospital


On April 21, 1880, four Sisters of Mercy from Savannah, Georgia opened Atlanta's first permanent hospital, a 10-bed facility located on this site, where it remained for nearly 100 years.

During that time, the hospital grew in size and scope, eventually encompassing the entire block, and included a dedicated surgical ward, chapel, outpatient clinic for the poor and the state's first nursing school.

With the goal of "extending the mission of healing mercy begun by Christ through a just and compassionate regard for all who suffer," the hospital became renowned for its medical expertise, compassionate care, and commitment to Atlanta's sickest and poorest individuals.

In 1978, the hospital moved to its present location in Sandy Springs in north Atlanta.

Today, Saint Joseph's continues its mission of mercy and is recognized as one of the country's leading acute-care specialty hospitals.


This marker erected in commemoration of Saint Joseph's 125th Anniversary in 2005



 

 

060-A99