Historic Markers Across Georgia



Lewis-Manning House c. 1895



Marker ID:  5
Location: 40 Cumming Street, Alpharetta, GA
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 34° 04.720    W 084° 17.597
  34.07866666    -84.29328333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMEKQR
Lewis-Manning House c. 1895 Marker  



Text:

Colonel Tomas Lewis, an Atlanta Attorney, built the five-bedroom Queen Anne-style house from bricks made in the pasture behind the house. There are rock foundations under each room. The inside walls are 12 inches thick, there are fireplaces in every room, and the floors are of heart pine. The house was occupied by Tom H. Manning, his brother James H., and his sister Annie from 1905-1953. Alpharetta Mayor Sim Manning and his wife, Sarah Payne Manning, moved into the house in 1948 where they raised their three children.



 
Lewis-Manning House
Lewis-Manning House c. 1895

Notes:

This marker is on the Alpharetta, GA, walking tour. Brochure and a map of the markers is available at the Alpharetta Visitors Centers at 178 South Main Street.

 

060-AL05