Historic Markers Across Georgia



Alpharetta Business District



Marker ID:  14
Location: 29 S. Main Street, Alpharetta, GA
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 34° 04.484    W 084° 17.686
  34.07473333    -84.29476666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMEKH4
Alpharetta Business District Marker  



Text:

Alpharetta was formed in 1858 and soon after, a thriving business district was developed. Many of the businesses had two entrances, with one facing the Milton County Courthouse on Norcross Street, now South Main Street, and the other facing National Highway, now Old Roswell Street. On June 26, 1902, a fire destroyed much of the town. Most of the lost buildings were replaced with brick or stone construction. The businesses were owned and operated by local families whose names are still recognized in Alpharetta today.



 

Alpharetta Business District

Notes:

This marker is on the Alpharetta, GA, walking tour. Brochure and a map of the markers is available at the Alpharetta Visitors Centers at 178 South Main Street.

 

060-AL14