Historic Markers Across Georgia



Alpharetta Business District



Marker ID:  16
Location: 1 S. Main Street, Alpharetta, GA
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 34° 04.529    W 084° 17.682
  34.07548333    -84.2947
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMEK52
Alpharetta Business District Marker  



Text:

One South Main Street housed a general merchandise store operated by J.A. Oliver until 1920. Later it became Jones Grocery, Lively Grocery and Talmage Burgess Grocery. In the mid 1950s, Phillips Variety Store opened. Three South Main Street has housed drug stores, soda fountains and restaurants. These businesses were owned at different times by the Devore, Mayfield, Waters, Thomas, Shaw, Kirby, Goswick and Reese families. Offices occupied the upstairs. Nine South Main Street was known as Seale Corner. Businesses included Teasley Store, John M. Martin Grocery, John Johnson Store and Moore Store.





Alpharetta Business District
Photo by Ed Jackson


Notes:

This marker is on the Alpharetta, GA, walking tour. Brochure and a map of the markers is available at the Alpharetta Visitors Centers at 178 South Main Street.

 

060-AL16