Historic Markers Across Georgia



Hewlett Lodge



Marker ID: NPS 
Location: Next to the Chattahoochee River NRA visitors center, 1978 Island Ford Pkwy, Sandy Springs, GA
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 59.245    W 084° 19.474
  33.98741666    -84.32456666
Style: Interpretative Sign **
Waymark: WMQWQ0
Hewlett Lodge Marker  



Text:

Hewlett Lodge



The park's headquarters and visitor center formerly served as a family summer retreat for Samuel D Hewlett, Sr., a prominent Atlanta attorney. Its rustic Adirondacks style- local stone, cypress logs from the Okefenokee Swamp, and shingled roof with broad overhangs -was unusual in the south when the Lodge was built between 1936 and 1941.

Hewlett sold the property in 1950 to the Buckhead Century Club, which enclosed the porch and added a swimming pool. By 1955 the club had become a camp and retreat facility for the Atlanta Baptist Assembly. The National Park Service acquired Hewlett Lodge and the Island Ford area in 1979.



  Historic Markers Across Georgia
 
Hewlett Lodge
Hewlett Lodge
 
Chattahoochee River NRA
Chattahoochee River NRA
>  
Hewlett Lodge Marker
Hewlett Lodge Marker
 
    Island Ford Visitors center – Hewlett Lodge
Island Ford visitor center and park headquarters
 
    Island Ford - Chattahoochee River
Island Ford - Chattahoochee River
 
Hewlett Lodge
Hewlett Lodge


Notes:


Hewlett Lodge was built during the 1930s for Georgia Supreme Court Justice Samuel Hewlett as a summer retreat.
Today the Lodge serves is the Chattahoochee River NRA, Island Ford visitor center and park headquarters.

More Information:
Supreme Court of Georgia
Wikipedia - Supreme Court of Georgia
NPS - Chattahoochee River NRA
Wikipedia - Chattahoochee River National Recreation Areaa

 





 

060-B005