Historic Markers Across Georgia



Pleasant Hill Baptist Church



Marker ID:  
Location: intersection of Pleasant Hill St and Pleasant Ave, Roswell, GA
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 34° 1.067    W 084° 21.65
  34.01778333    -84.36083333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Pleasant Hill Baptist Church Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Pleasant Hill Baptist Church

Pleasant Hill Baptist Church traces its roots to as early as 1836 when Amariah Hembree organized Lebanon Baptist Church in his home near the town of Lebanon, Georgia. Church records show that Burl Hembree, a negro slave, was ordained to preach and his brother was ordained as a deacon. Sometime after 1847, while still in the bonds of slavery, these two men established Pleasant Hill Baptist Church in Lebanon on the land given by Archibald Smith. Pleasant Hill Baptist Church worshiped in Lebanon until the early 1900s when the church relocated in Roswell. In 1922 the church purchased land from Brother Murrell Nuckles and, with time and labor contributed by members, completed a new building at the current location which was replaced by a new edifice in 1963. The Pleasant Hill Community Center was opened in 2005.






Roswell Historical Society.



Pleasant Hill Baptist Church and Marker
Pleasant Hill Baptist Church
Photo by David Seibert



 

060-B027