Historic Markers Across Georgia



William A. Russell High School 1922-1988



Marker ID:  
Location: 2575 Harris St, East Point, GA
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 41.076    W 084° 26.143
  33.6846    -84.43571666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMX30C
William A. Russell High School 1922-1988 Marker
Photo by Tim Walleker



Text:

William A. Russell
High School

1922-1988


On the westerly acres of this tract contributed by John T. Egan, the City of East Point established Russell High School. After consolidation into Fulton County's school system, the school in 1927 was greatly enlarged with open courts, stucco walls and clay tile roof. A gymnasium was constructed entirely of wood in 1935. In 1937 friends and alumni developed a lighted field with a wood-truss "Grandstand." The structures were demolished in 1988 to permit construction of Tri-Cities High School.

More memorable were the lessons in comprehensive academics and cultural activities conducted in a peaceful environment by dedicated faculties. Pride in excellence was the creed of both teacher and student-may it ever be.

This tablet is in tribute to those education leaders, administrators, faculties and supporters. Though not here named, all are gratefully remembered.

Erected by The Fulton County Board of Education
Sponsored by Russell High Class of 1938
1994



 

William A. Russell High School 1922-1988


 

060-B034