Historic Markers Across Georgia



First Congregational Church, United Church of Christ



Marker ID: GHS 60-4
Location: 105 Courtland St NE, Atlanta, GA
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 45.439    W 084° 23.044
  33.75731666    -84.38406666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMWNQ7
 



Text:

First Congregational Church
United Church of Christ


American Missionary Association (A.M.A.) teachers and clergy came to the post-Civil War South to help educate freed slaves. In 1866, missionaries established the Storrs School, located on Houston Street near Piedmont Avenue, to provide social, educational, and religious services for freedmen. Meeting in the Storrs School chapel, freedmen and white missionaries founded First Congregational Church in 1867. This integrated congregation continued to meet in the chapel until 1877 when the A.M.A. donated land on this site. In 1894, Dr. Henry Hugh Proctor became the first African-American pastor of the congregation. This building was constructed in 1908.





2002.13 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society
and the First Congregational Church United Church of Christ
40-4



 

 

060-HS04