Historic Markers Across Georgia



Delta Air Lines



Marker ID: GHS 60-10
Location: at the Delta Flight Museum, 1030 Delta Blvd, Atlanta, GA
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 39.305    W 084° 25.202
  33.65508333    -84.42003333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Delta Air Lines Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Delta Air Lines


Delta Air Lines began in 1924 as a crop dusting company, based first in Macon, Georgia, and then Monroe, Louisiana. C.E. Woolman led a group of investors in buying the company in 1928 and renamed it Delta Air Service. Passenger service began between Dallas, Texas, and Jackson, Mississippi, on June 17, 1929. A year later, Delta expanded passenger service east to Atlanta and west to Fort Worth. In 1941, Delta moved its corporate headquarters to Atlanta. Under Woolman and successive leaders, the company grew through a series of mergers that expanded routes across the U.S. and around the world. As one of Georgia’s most famous corporate residents, Delta played a crucial role in Atlanta’s rise as an international city and commercial hub





2014.4 Georgia Historical Commission.
60-10




Delta Air Lines
Photo by David Seibert


Notes:

Dedicated: June 17, 2014

 

060-HS10A