Historic Markers Across Georgia



Southern Company



Marker ID: GHS 60-16
Location: 30 Ivan Allen Blvd, Atlanta, GA
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 45.873    W 084° 23.323
  33.76455    -84.38871666
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Southern Company Marker
Photo by Todd Massar



Text:

Southern Company


Southern Company traces its roots to 1912, when the first of a series of holding companies was formed to build a power grid and provide reliable electricity across the Southeast. Alabama Power, Georgia Power, Gulf Power and Mississippi Power- the major utilities that make up Southern Company- began coordinating their operations in the 1920s. Southern Company in its current form was approved by the Securities and Exchange Commission in 1947. Based in Atlanta, the company was a catalyst for the broader distribution of affordable electricity, which attracted new industries to the Southeast and contributed to the post-World War II economic boom. Today, Southern Company and its subsidiaries provide energy to customers throughout the United States.





  Erected by the Georgia Historical Society 
2015.6 and Southern Company60-16



 
Notes:

Dedicated: June 27th, 2016

 

060-HS16