Historic Markers Across Georgia



Georgia-Pacific



Marker ID: GHS 60-23
Location: 133 Peachtree Street NE, Atlanta, GA
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 45.422    W 084° 23.245
  33.75703333    -84.38741666
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Georgia-Pacific


Owen R. Cheatham founded the Georgia Hardwood Lumber Company in Augusta, GA, in 1927. By 1938, the company operated five lumberyards in the South. To broaden its product line, the company purchased its first Pacific Coast facility—a plywood plant—in 1947. In 1948, the company was renamed Georgia-Pacific Plywood and Lumber Company and was listed on the New York Stock Exchange in 1949. Its first operation outside North America began in the Philippines in 1963.Georgia-Pacific Center, the company's corporate headquarters, was built in 1982 on the site of Loew's Grand Theatre, where Gone with the Wind premiered in 1939. At its 90th anniversary in 2017, Georgia-Pacific was one of the world's leading manufacturers of consumer products, building products, packaging, and pulp with tens of thousands of employees across the globe, including 7,500 in Georgia.





2017.6 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and Georgia-Pacific 60-23



 
Notes:

Dedicated: September 26, 2017

 

060-HS23