Historic Markers Across Georgia



Academy of Medicine



Marker ID: GHS 60-3
Location: at the Academy, 875 W. Peachtree St. NW, Atlanta, GA.
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 46.721    W 084° 23.057
  33.778683    -84.38428
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7DGH
Academy of Medicine  Marker  



Text:

Thirteen Atlanta physicians organized the Brotherhood of Physicians in 1854. After many location and name changes, the Brotherhood evolved into the Fulton County Medical Society, which dedicated the Academy of Medicine as its headquarters here on December 15, 1941. Medical Society members played a major role in health care for all Georgians, including advances in the treatment of pellagra, hookworm, tuberculosis, and venereal disease. Designed by Philip T. Shutze and R. Kennon Perry, the Academy of medicine is an outstanding example of Neoclassical architecture. The Medical Association of Atlanta directed restoration in 1932 and deeded the Academy to the Atlanta Medical Heritage to preserve it as a historic building.

2002.11 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, The Medical Association
of Atlanta, and Atlanta Medical Heritage, Inc. 60-3



 

Academy of Medicine


 

060-HS3