Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeemer



Marker ID: GHS 60-5
Location: at the church, 731 Peachtree St NE, Atlanta, GA. in Atlanta
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 46.477    W 084° 23.080
  33.774616    -84.38466
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7N8X
The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeemer Marker  



Text:

The Lutheran Church of the Redeemer was founded in 1903 as the first English-speaking congregation in Atlanta. The church´s first building was erected in 1905 near the state capitol. The church moved in 1937 to Peachtree and Fourth Streets where in 1952 its current structure was completed. Designed by Harold Wagoner of Philadelphia, the gothic structure is of Tennessee quartzite and Indiana limestone. Redeemer, founded by thirty-nine people, grew in one hundred years to become the largest Lutheran congregation in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee, which comprise the Southern Synod of Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.

Erected by The Georgia Historical Society and
2000.8 The Lutheran Church of the Redeemer 60-5



 
Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeemer
The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeemer


 

060-HS5