Historic Markers Across Georgia



Williams Tavern



Marker ID:  
Location: 899 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive, in the West End district of Atlanta, GA.
County: Fulton
Coordinates: N 33° 45.291    W 084° 25.019
  33.75485    -84.41698333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM7WAX
Williams Tavern Marker  



Text:

In 1944, Helen and ´Nish´ Williams opened Williams Tavern on Hunter Street. The restaurants "Blue Dining Room" featured the house specialty, southern fried chicken. Nish Williams was an accomplished baseball player who played for Morehouse College and the Atlanta Black Crackers. In late in the late 1960s, their son Donn Clendon, a nationally-famous baseball player, replace the tavern with a night club that became a very popular.



 

Williams Tavern


 

060-WE8