Historic Markers Across Georgia



Gilmer County



Marker ID: GHM 061-4
Location: Courthouse in Ellijay
County: Gilmer
Coordinates: N 34° 41.695    W 084° 28.991
  34.694916    -84.48318
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6NTT
Gilmer County Marker
Photo by debbado



Text:

Gilmer County was created by Act of Dec. 3, 1832 out of Cherokee. Originally, it contained
parts of Fannin, Dawson and Pickens Counties. The county was named for George Rockingham Gilmer (1790-1859), who served with distinction as a soldier, lawyer, legislator, Congressman and twice as Governor of Georgia, 1829-1831 and 1837-1839. First officers, commissioned March 9, 1833, were: Levi A. Hufsteller, Sheriff; Thomas M. Burnett, Clerk Superior Court; Henry K. Quillian, Clerk Inferior Court. Officers commissioned July 10, 1833 were Thomas Gutterry, Coroner, and Benjamin M. Griffith, Surveyor.

GHM 061-4 Georgia Historical Commission 1956



 

 

061-4