Historic Markers Across Georgia



Cartecay Methodist Church



Marker ID: GHM 061-5
Location: Ga 52 seven miles east of Ellijay
County: Gilmer
Coordinates: N 34° 38.662    W 084° 23.4
  34.644366    -84.39
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4AN1
Cartecay Methodist Church Marker  



Text:

This church, Cartecay Methodist (South), was organized and a building erected in August 1834 on the property of Lewis D. Ellington. The first preacher was William Ellington, ordained in 1803 by Bishop ASbury. The first Sunday School was organized April 20, 1851 and has operated continuously.

The present building, erected in 1859, remains, in style and arrangement, as originally built. During the War Between the States, the building was guarded at night by groups of men to protect it from Union sympathizers who roamed the countryside. Among the early preachers were: REv. Bethel Quillian, Rev. John B. Robeson,, Rev. A.J. Hughes, Rev. A.J. Hutchinson. Rev. A.D. Echols, Rev. Walter Dillard, Rev. R.B.O. england, Rev. W.C. Hunnicut, Rev. John B. Pettit. As a young man Bishop Warren Candler preached here.

GHM 061-5 Georgia Historical Commission 1957



 

 

061-5