Historic Markers Across Georgia



Glascock County



Marker ID: GHM 062-1
Location: Courthouse in Gibson
County: Glascock
Coordinates: N 33° 13.996    W 082° 35.684
  33.233266    -82.59473
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6HF5
Glascock County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This County, created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 19, 1857, is named for Gen. Thomas Glascock who served in the War of 1812 and the Seminole War. He was a Speaker of the Georgia House of Representatives and a Member of Congress from 1835 to ´39. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff Augustus C. Reece, Ordinary Francis M. Kelly, Clerk of Superior Court Richard Walden, Clerk of Inferior Court Daniel Glover, Tax Receiver Abraham Brassell, Tax Collector Tobias Logue, Surveyor Seaborn Kitchens and Coroner Seaborn Glover.

GHM 062-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

062-1