Historic Markers Across Georgia



Needwood Baptist Church and Needwood School



Marker ID: GHS 067-1
Location: at the church 2 miles S of Hofwyl-Broadfield Plantation on US 17
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 16.93    W 081° 26.441
  31.282166    -81.44068
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3CH
Needwood Baptist Church and Needwood School Marker  



Text:

Needwood Baptist Church was organized in 1866 on nearby Broadfield Plantation as Broadfield Baptist Church of the Zion Baptist Association. This structure, built in the 1870s, was redesigned in 1885 when the church moved its congregation here. Its formation and history are representative of religious development in the context of plantation rice culture. The nearby one-room Needwood School provided elementary education for this community from 1907 until desegregation in the 1960s. Both structures are examples of early African-American vernacular architecture.

Erected by the The Georgia Historical Society and the Pilot Club of Brunswick, Inc.

1999-3 67-1



 

Needwood Baptist Church and Needwood School

Notes:

Marker should be 63-1; 67 is Gwinnett. The number on the marker is 67.

 

063-067-1