Historic Markers Across Georgia



JEKYLL ISLAND 9 MI. LONG, 1-1/4 MI. WIDE, 11 MI. OF BEACH.



Marker ID: GHM 063-14
Location: Ben Fortson Parkway at entrance to island
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 2.847    W 081° 25.079
  31.04745    -81.41798
Status: The marker has been removed.
Waymark: None
JEKYLL ISLAND
9 MI. LONG, 1-1/4 MI. WIDE, 11 MI. OF BEACH. Marker
Photo by Tim Walleker



Text:

Jekyll Island, Indian hunting and fishing ground, private stronghold held by Spain for more than a century from 1566, was named by Oglethorpe to honor his friend, Sir Joseph Jekyll, who, with Lady Jekyll contributed 600 pounds toward the founding of the Colony of Georgia. the great trees on this island are among ´Georgia´s seven natural wonders.´ The broad white beach is unexcelled.

Major William Horton, officer of Oglethorpe´s Regiment, had his plantation here. Later, Jekyll Island was owned by Clement Martin and Richard Leake. After the Revolutionary War, the island was owned by Poulain du Bignon and his descendants for a century.

In 1866, after a world-wide search for a beautiful, healthy, quite and private vacation site, a group of America´s wealthiest men purchased Jekyll Island. For 56 years (1886- 1942), members of the exclusive Jekyll Island Club relaxed on the island.

The State of Georgia bought Jekyll Island from the Club in 1947 for a State Park.

GHM 063-14 Georgia Historical Commission 1957



 
Notes:

Not standing, removed.

 

063-14