Historic Markers Across Georgia



Mess Kettle from the "Wanderer"



Marker ID: GHM 063-17
Location: At the wharf on Riverview Drive, Jekyll Island, GA
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 3.502    W 081° 25.386
  31.058366    -81.4231
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This mess kettle from the slave yacht, WANDERER, was first used for feeding the slaves landed on Jekyll Island in 1858 - the last slaves brought from Africa to the United States.

The WANDERER, pleasure yacht, slave ship, gunboat, and coastal freighter, was launched in 1857, built by Joseph Rowland and Thomas Hawkins at East Setauket, Long Island, for J.D. Johnson, a wealthy Louisiana planter and member of the exclusive New York Yacht Club. Sold almost immediately to Johnson´s protégé W.C. Corrie of Charleston, the WANDERER was used in the illicit slave trade by Corrie and his associates, Charles A.L. Lamar of Savannah and Nelson C. Trowbridge of New Orleans.

At the outbreak of the war in 1861, the WANDERER was caught in southern waters by the blockade and seized by Federal forces whereupon she was pressed into Union service in the Pensacola area. After the war she was sold at auction and put into the West Indian fruit trade. The WANDERER was finally driven ashore and wrecked in 1871 on Cape Masai, Cuba.

GHM 063-17 Georgia Historical Commission 1962



 
Notes:

Not standing, removed.


 

063-17