Historic Markers Across Georgia

Poulain DuBignon and the DuBignon Burying Ground

Marker ID: GHM 063-18
Location: RiverviewDrive and Major Horton Drives, Jekyll Island, GA (Replaced)
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 6.113    W 081° 24.928
  31.101883    -81.41546
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMGPTA
Poulain DuBignon and the DuBignon Burying Ground Marker  


This burying ground contains the bodies of several members of the du Bignon family, descendants of Le Seiur Christophe du Poulain de la Houssaye du Bignon, native of Saint-Malo in Brittany. One of four Frenchmen, former residents of Sapelo Island, who purchased Jekyll Island in 1791, Poulain du Bignon became the sole owner a few years later.

In his youth du Bignon was an officer in the French army in India and served for years fighting against the domination of Great Britain. Later he commanded a vessel of war sailing under the French flag.

He died in 1814 and was buried here near du Bignon Creek with a live oak tree as his only monument. Sea Island cotton was the principal crop planted on the du Bignon plantations on Jekyll Island and a large acreage was devoted to its cultivation.

The du Bignon family owned Jekyll Island until 1886, when they sold it to a group of millionaires who immediately formed the famous Jekyll Island Club.

Poulain DuBignon and the DuBignon Burying Ground
Photo by GatoRx