Historic Markers Across Georgia



Georgia's First Brewery



Marker ID: GHM 063-19
Location: Riverview Drive just south of Major Horton Dr, Jekyll Island, GA
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 5.976    W 081° 24.941
  31.0996    -81.41568
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Large pieces of tabby seen here on the bank of the creek, now known as Bignon Creek, mark the site of the first brewery established in Georgia. Crops of barley, rye and hops, planted and raised in Horton´s fields on Jekyll, were used in making beer for the soldiers at nearby Frederica on St. Simons Island.

Major William Horton, of Oglethorpe´s Regiment, was the first English resident of Jekyll Island. The remains of Horton´s tabby home stand northeast of this brewery.

GHM 063-19 Georgia Historical Commission 1956



 

 

063-19