Historic Markers Across Georgia



Shrady-James Cottage "Cherokee Cottage"



Marker ID: GHM 063-24
Location: Plantation Road behind the hotel, Jekyll Island, GA
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 3.659    W 081° 25.327
  31.060983    -81.42211
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marker has been removed.
Waymark: None
Shrady-James Cottage "Cherokee Cottage" Marker
Photo by Tim Walleker



Text:

This cottage has a total of 20 rooms, plus 8 baths. There are 12 bedrooms, 2 kitchens (one for the servants), and a service elevator. It was erected around 1915 for Mrs. Hester E. Cantine Shrady of New York, widow of Dr. George Frederick Shrady of New York (born 1837 - died 1907). An eminent physician, Dr. Shrady was editor of the Medical Record, and Assistant Surgeon, U.S.A., during the War Between the States. He attended ex-President Grant, as consulting surgeon, in his last illness. Mrs. Shrady was the mother-in-law of Edwin Gould, a Jekyll Island Club member. Mr. Gould, who owned the Cottage ´Solterra´ on Jekyll, was the son of the famous financier Jay Gould, who left an estate of over $60,000,000.

The cottage was last occupied by Dr. Walter Belknap James of New York (born in Baltimore 1858 - died 1927). He was president of the Jekyll Island Club 1919- 1927. He married Helen Goodsell Jennings, sister of Walter Jennings, also president of the Jekyll Island Club. Dr. James was a graduate of Yale, Johns Hopkins, and did graduate work in Germany and Austria. He was consulting physician, Bellvue Hospital, New York, and president of the national committee for Mental Hygiene.

The swimming pool in front of the former Club House was dedicated ´in loving memory´ to Dr. James by the Jekyll Island Club.

GHM 063-24 Georgia Historical Commission 1958



 
Notes:

Not standing, removed.

 

063-24