Historic Markers Across Georgia



Gould Casino



Marker ID: GHM 063-26
Location: Plantation Road north of hotel at auditorium, Jekyll Island, GA
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 3.729    W 081° 25.351
  31.06215    -81.42251
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marker has been removed.
Waymark: None
Gould Casino Marker
Photo by Tim Walleker



Text:

This auditorium was the Gould Casino during the Jekyll Island Club Era (1886- 1942). It was built by Edwin Gould, son of Jay Gould, who lived at Chicota Cottage.

This playhouse contained, on the first floor, an indoor tennis court, lockers ad restroonms, a bowling alley, rifle range, a bedroom. On the second floor were spacious well furnished club rooms. Attached to the casino was a conservatory and a separate garden house.

063-26 Georgia Historical Commission 1958



 
Notes:

Not standing, removed.

 

063-26