Historic Markers Across Georgia



Captain Wylly Road



Marker ID: GHM 063-29
Location: Beachview Drive and Captain Wylly Road, Jekyll Island, GA
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 4.009    W 081° 24.291
  31.066816    -81.40485
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMGPRY
Captain Wylly Road Marker  



Text:

There were two Captain Wyllys in the history of Jekyll. It is believed the road was named for Charles Spalding Wylly (1836- 1923), Captain Wylly in the Confederate Army, 1st Georgia Regulars, a descendant of Clement Martin, who was granted on April 5, 1768, Jekyll Island by the Crown. His grandfather, Captain William Campbell Wylly, remaining loyal to the British in the Revolution took part in the campaign when the British General Prevost crossed the St. Mary´s and marched on Savannah. After the Revolution he moved to Nassau and was made Governor of New Providence. In 1807 he returned to Georgia, lived first on Jekyll, then St. Simons. Captain Alexander Campbell Wylly was born in Belfast in 1759, moving to Savannah from there. This road is one of the few that now bear names given by the Jekyll Island Club members. What is now Beachview Drive consisted of three shell roads: Morgan (for John Pierpont Morgan); Bourne (for Frederick G. Bourne, Director of Singer Sewing Machine Company and President of Jekyll Island Club 1914- 1919); Lanier (for Charles Lanier, original member of the club, and President of Jekyll Island Club 1897- 1913). He was a kinsman of Sidney Lanier poet author of ´Marshes of Glynn.´

063-29 Georgia Historical Commission 1958



 

Captain Wylly Road


 

063-29