Historic Markers Across Georgia



Demere Road



Marker ID: GHM 063-3
Location: Demere Road and East Beach Causeway, St Simons Island, GA
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 8.904    W 081° 22.879
  31.1484    -81.38131
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6QZQ
Demere Road Marker  



Text:

From the site of the Battle of Bloody Marsh to the intersection with Ocean Boulevard, this road is part of the Military Road, sometimes called The King´s High Road, which was built by Frederica settlers in 1738 to connect Fort Frederica and fort St. Simons. It was used by British and Spanish forces during the Spanish invasion of 1742 and is the only part of the old Military Road still in use.

GHM 063-3 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1989



 

Demere Road

Notes:

More information:
New Georgia Encyclopedia: Battle of Bloody Marsh
NPS: Bloody Marsh Unit

 

063-3