Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Boat House Site



Marker ID: GHM 063-31
Location: Riverview Drive south of Stable Rd, Jekyll Island, GA
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 3.14    W 081° 25.292
  31.052333    -81.42153
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3V97
The Boat House Site Marker
Photo by macleod1



Text:

This is the site of the Jekyll Island Club Boat House where the 100 foot steamer The Jekyll Island was stored during the off season. (The Club season was usually from after New Years until before Easter).

There was no Jekyll Creek bridge (dedicated 1954), no Sidney Lanier bridge (opened 1956) in the Jekyll Island Club Era. Many Club members entrained to Brunswick on their plush private railroad cars. There they were met at the wharf by the steamer The Jekyll Island; The Hattie; The Sybil (45 foot Naphtha Launch named for Sybil Brewster); The Kitty (named for Kitty Lawrence, nice of Charles Lanier, a President of The Club). These launches were used as pleasure craft at the convenience of the Club members for fishing, excursions, and to bring supplies and mail from Brunswick.

Other members arrived by yacht at the dock or, if the craft was too large for the shallow water there, anchored in the channel and were brought to shore by smaller craft.

James A. Clark was Captain of Boats and summer manager of the Jekyll Island Club for over forty years.

GHM 063-31 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958



 

 

063-31