Historic Markers Across Georgia

Morgan Tennis Court

Marker ID: GHM 063-32
Location: Plantation Road behind the hotel, Jekyll Island, GA
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 3.493    W 081° 25.248
  31.058216    -81.4208
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: None
Morgan Tennis Court Marker
Photo by Tim Walleker


Tennis, golf, bowling, croquet, polo, and skeet were the active sports during the existence of the Jekyll Island Club. ´Bowling on the green´ and croquet were played on the Club House lawn. The skeet and polo fields were located beyond the Jennings Cottage. The Club´s facilities for tennis were exceptional. In addition to the three outdoor courts of native clay, there were two indoor courts, the John Pierpont Morgan and the Edwin Gould Tennis Courts. The Club maintained a tennis pro who was for many years, Frank Bonneau.

This was the scene of many important tournaments. As a prime sport, tennis was established in 1911 when Richard Crane placed his cup for a mixed doubles handicap. This tournament was played during March. The Annual Invitation Men´s Doubles Round Robin was established in 1936, with a cup offered each year by Alanson B. Houghton, former Ambassador to London and Berlin. Winners of the trophy include Bernon S. Prentice, Alexander Thayer, G. Peabody Garner, H.R. Guild, George A. Lyon, Amory L. Houghton, Cranston Holman, Julian S. Myrick, Watson Washburn, Robert P. Brown, Jr.

GHM 063-32 Georgia Historical Commission 1958


Not standing, removed.