Historic Markers Across Georgia



Christ Episcopal Church



Marker ID: GHM 063-33A
Location: Frederica Road at the church, St Simons Island, GA
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 13.203    W 081° 23.219
  31.22005    -81.38698
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2WD
Christ Episcopal Church Marker
Photo by tarvol_2000



Text:

This congregation was established as a mission of the Church of England in February, 1736. The Rev. Charles Wesley, ordained priest of that Church, conducted the first services in the chapel within the walls of Fort Frederica. The Rev. John Wesley, Rector of Christ Episcopal Church, Savannah, also served this mission. under the name St. James, this was one of the eight original pasrishes established in 1758. After the Revolution, this and other churches which had been served continuously by clergymen of the Church of England formed the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America. Christ Church was incorporated by the State legislature in 1808 and given a glebe of 108 acres; and in 1823 was one of the three parishes organizing the diocese of Georgia. The first Church built on this property in 1820 was almost destroyed during the War Between the States. The present building was erected on the same site in 1884.

GHM 060-33A Georgia Historical Commission 1958



Christ Episcopal Church
Christ Episcopal Church
Photo by tarvol_2000



 

063-33A