Historic Markers Across Georgia



Pulitzer-Albright Cottage



Marker ID: GHM 063-34B
Location: Riverview Drive south of the hotel, Jekyll Island, GA
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 3.338    W 081° 25.32
  31.055633    -81.422
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

On this site was the cottage of Joseph Pulitzer, editor of the St. Louis Post ´Dispatch´ and New York ´World.´ His bequests established the School (now Graduate School) of Journalism at Columbia University and the Pulitzer Prize program.

After Pulitzer´s death, his 26-room island residence, built in 1903, was purchased by Joseph Albright, art patron and coal magnate of Buffalo, New York. Among the distinguished guests of the Albrights on Jekyll Island was the English poet Alfred Noyes.

Servants lived in a 12-room separate cottage. This building was bought by Frank L. Goodyear and moved to its present location. He gave it to the Jekyll Island Club as an infirmary and renamed it Goodyear Memorial Infirmary in memory of his mother, Mrs. Josephine L. Goodyear. From January to April the infirmary was staffed each season by doctors from Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.

GHM 063-34B Georgia Historical Commission 1959



 
Notes:

Missing or Removed Markers

 

063-34B