Historic Markers Across Georgia



Sans Souci: Club Cottage



Marker ID: GHM 063-36
Location: Just south of the hotel, Jekyll Island, GA
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 3.494    W 081° 25.301
  31.058233    -81.42168
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: None
Sans Souci: Club Cottage Marker
Photo by Tim Walleker



Text:

Known as the J.P. Morgan Cottage because the Morgans, elder and younger, lived here, Sans Souci (Without Care), containing six apartments, was built in 1899 by a corporation of members of the Jekyll Island Club. Among the members who stayed here were: James J. Hill, St. Paul, Minnesota, president of the Great Northern System [railroad]; Frederick G. Bourne, capitalist; Pierre Lorillard, Tuxedo Park, N.Y., tobacco magnate; J.A. Scrymser, New York, cable and telegraph promoter and a partner of J.P. Morgan in various enterprises; Robert G. Pyne, New York banker.

During the War Between the States the DuBignon family, fearing Union raids, left Jekyll Island, moving inland. After the war, John Eugene DuBignon returned to find his fields devastated and buildings destroyed. The plantation economy never recovered from the ravages and changes made by the war. In the early 1880´s, DuBignon built his residence where Sans Souci now stands. In 1886 he sold the island to the Jekyll Island Club for $125,000.00 and became one of the original members. His home was known as Club Cottage

GHM 063-36 Georgia Historical Commission 1959



 
Notes:

Not standing, removed.

 

063-36