Historic Markers Across Georgia



Delegal's Fort



Marker ID: GHM 063-39
Location: Ocean Blvd, 0.1 mile north of Demere Rd, St Simons Island, GA
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 8.13    W 081° 23.283
  31.1355    -81.38805
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2135
Delegal's Fort Marker  



Text:

The first fortification built by the British on the South End of St. Simons Island was erected near this site in April, 1736, by soldiers of the South Carolina Independent Comapnay under the command of Lieutenant Philip Delegal. Before coming to St. Simons these soldiers had been stationed at Fort Frederica near Port Royal, South Carolina.

The fortification erected here, known as ´Delegal´s Fort at Sea Point´, commanded the entrance to the harbor, being located ´so that all ships¨. must pass within shot of the point´.

In 1738, when a regiment of British soldiers was brought to St. Soimons Island, Lt. Delegal and his soldiers were taken into Oglethorpe´s Regiment. Fort St. Simons was then built taking the site of Delegal´s Fort. Most of the area covered by the fortification has been washed away.

GHM 063-39 Georgia Historical Commission 1961



 

Delegal's Fort


 

063-39