Historic Markers Across Georgia



Battle of Gully Hole Creek



Marker ID: GHM 063-42
Location: Frederica Rd, 0.2 mi S of Christ Episcopal church, St Simons, GA
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 13.121    W 081° 23.054
  31.218683    -81.38423
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6R3K
Battle of Gully Hole Creek Marker  



Text:

During the late morning of July 7, 1742 Georgia Rangers guarding the military road approach to the town of Frederica sighted a force of over 100 Spanish soldiers and their Indian allies. James Edward Oglethorpe, founder of Georgia, quickly organized a force composed of the Highland Independent Company, Rangers and Indian friends and courageously led the assault on the Spanish at a place near this marker. The fighting was fierce and lasted almost an hour as Frederica´s defenders routed the invaders. Spanish losses numbered more than one-third of their force. One Spanish captain was killed and another was captured in the intense fighting. Oglethorpe´s losses were light. Although the battle was brief, it turned out to be the heaviest fighting on the St. Simons Island campaign. Oglethorpe´s victory settled the question over ownership of this disputed territory between Spain and Great Britain. It also signaled the end of Frederica´ existence since its regiment was disbanded in 1749.

GHM 063-42 ERECTED BY GOVERNOR ZELL MILLER 1992



 

Battle of Gully Hole Creek


 

063-42