Historic Markers Across Georgia



Sinclair Plantation



Marker ID: GHM 063-4A
Location: Lawrence Rd, 1.8 mi N of Frederica Rd, St Simons Island, GA
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 14.142    W 081° 21.337
  31.2357    -81.35561
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9VA9
Sinclair Plantation Marker  



Text:

This was the plantation of Archibald Sinclair, tything man of the town of Frederica. In 1765 it was granted to Donald Forbes as bounty land for his services in Oglethorpe´s regiment. Forbes sold to Gen. Lachlan McIntosh of Revolutionary War fame, whose son, Major William McIntosh, lived and died in the old plantation house. Here, in the family burial plot, lie the bodies of Major McIntosh and his two children. The Agricultural and Sporting Club of St. Simons Island, an organization of plantation owners founded in 1832, used the old tabby home as their club house.

GHM 063-4A Georgia Historical Commission 1954



 

Sinclair Plantation


 

063-4A