Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Post Road



Marker ID: GHM 063-4B
Location: Ga 32 and Post Road, at Brantley County line
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 18.677    W 081° 43.962
  31.311283    -81.7327
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNWAB
Old Post Road Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

This road, formerly an Indian trail which paralleled the coast, was used by the Spanish and British. In 1778 it was traveled by Revolutionary soldiers who marched against Fort Tonyn. The first mail service south of Savannah was established over this road in 1763. Later it became a regular stagecoach route.

At Coleridge, a short distance north of the present Waycross Highway, Job Tyson maintained a tavern for travelers along the post road. it was the only hostel between the Altamaha and Satilla rivers and was a regular stagecoach stop.

GHM 063-4B GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1996




Old Post Road
Photo by Tim Walleker



 

063-4B