Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Spanish Garden



Marker ID: GHM 063-6
Location: Demere Road and Ocean Boulevard, St Simons Island, GA
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 8.118    W 081° 23.416
  31.1353    -81.39026
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM24ZQ
Old Spanish Garden Marker  



Text:

Spain maintained missions along this coast for more than a century. Beginning in 1568 Jesuit and, later, Franciscan missionaries labored to Christianize the Indians and cultivated in the mission gardens figs, peaches, oranges and other plants introducced from Europe. Due to Indian uprisings, pirate raisd and British depredations these missions were removed further south in 1686.

A map of St, Simons Island made in 1739 by Capt. John thomas, engineer in Oglethorpe´s Regiment, locates an ´OLD SPNAISH GARDEN´ near this site. In this area materials from the Spanish mission period have been found.

GHM 063-6 Georgia Historical Commission 1954




Old Spanish Garden
Photo by Shorelander



 

063-6