Historic Markers Across Georgia



German Village



Marker ID: GHM 063-8
Location: Lawrence Rd at Village Dr, 1.2 mi N of Frederica Rd, St Simons Island, GA
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 13.71    W 081° 21.744
  31.2285    -81.3624
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9VBC
German Village Marker  



Text:

Here in 1736, Oglethorpe settled a group of German Lutherans, known as Salzburgers, and their settlement was called the German Village. These Salzburgers made their living by planting, fishing, and selling their products to the Frederica settlers. When Oglethorpe's regiment was disbanded in 1749 the Salzburgers left St. Simons Island.

During the Plantation Era, the Wylly family lived here, their plantation being called ´The Village.´

GHM 063-8 Georgia Historical Commission 1954



 
Notes:

Reported as missing on 9/15/2015

 

063-8