Historic Markers Across Georgia



1800 Emanuel United Methodist Church



Marker ID: UMC 
Location: US 82 at Ratcliff Rd, 2 miles west of US 17
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 10.097    W 081° 36.26
  31.168283    -81.60433
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9VNG
1800 Emanuel United Methodist Church Marker  



Text:

Begun in year 1800 as New Hope Methodist Church on Laurel Grove Plantation 2 miles S presetn site. 1833 original building moved to this site and name changed to Emanuel. Hand hewn pillars and wooden pegs are visible. 1799 George Clark, sent by Bishop Asbury to St. Mary´s, started Methodist Societies in Glynn Co. 1829 Quarterly Conf. for St. Mary´s and St. Illa Ct. held here. W Wm. Gassoway- pastor; James Helveston- class leader. 1841 St. Illa Ct. (Satilla) became the Brunswick Ct. with Emanuel as one of 11 preaching points. Since 1799 Emanuel has been in continuous service.

South Georgia Conference Commission on Archives and History 1976



 

1800 Emanuel United Methodist Church


 

063-A1