Historic Markers Across Georgia



St. Simons Island



Marker ID: UMC 
Location: Opposite Fort Frederica entrance, St. Simons Island, GA
County: Glynn
Coordinates: N 31° 13.338    W 081° 23.202
  31.2223    -81.3867
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6R36
St. Simons Island Marker  



Text:

From March 9 - May 12, 1738, Charles Wesley, secretary to James Oglethorpe, was Anglican cleric to the founders of Fort Frederica. His stern discipline earned disfavor among the colonists and Oglethorpe. John Wesley, religious leaders of the colony of Georgia, visited Charles in April 1736, preaching in the storehouse. Charles returned to England. John ministered to the Fredericans in four trips before leaving ´with utter despair of doing good there´ on January 26, 1737.

After John´s return to England, in May 1738 the brothers had ´heart warming expriences´ and later founded the Methodist movement.

General Conference, The Methodist Church 1960
Dedicated February 9, 1993



 

 

063-A12